Tuesday, August 27, 2013

We did it!

Henry Thomas Jenkins arrived at 1:05 PM on Tuesday, August 20th, 2013. Here is how it all went down, as well as some notes from our first week together as a family of three.
our little man
We had a busy weekend prior to my due date (Monday, August 19th). All I wanted to do was have a day for ourselves where we weren't running around "preparing". Well, we got it on Monday. We went to Alana's for breakfast, the chiropractor for an adjustment, the gym for a swim, and Santa Ramen for some spicy labor-inducing soup. That night, there was lightning (a rare occurrence around here) and a full moon (a blue one, specifically, which happens every 3 years)...we should have known someone important was on their way!
banana pancakes - Henry's favorite
swim + sun
Then...
12:00 PM - M & I fell asleep, about 2 hours later than usual
2:20 AM - I woke up to what I thought was a real labor contraction, I woke M up to start tracking them with...what else?...an app
5:15 AM - left for the hospital
5:45 AM - arrived at the hospital
6:00 AM - registered and was placed in Labor & Delivery Room 1, 6 cm dilated
7:00 AM - epidural administered by Dr. Hilton; Lucy, my nurse, arrived
8:00 AM - 8 family members arrived and waited patiently (that's an embellishment)
11:20 AM - started pushing
1:05 PM - HELLO HENRY!
Giving birth, much like the pregnancy, went as well as we could have possibly hoped.
laboring at home with my boys
drive to the hospital
pleased to know how far along we were 
last pic the two of us
first pic the three of us
stud in the nursery - 6 lb 13 oz, 20.5" long
studs in the nursery
Uncle Dave
handsome little devil
handsome little devils
day two
about to head home - 6 lb 5 oz
Because I am operating on fumes, our impressions from the first week will be in list form:
- it's all about feedings / diaper changes / sleep around here
- feedings are going well; painful, but less and less each time (forget my 'push present'...where's my 'suck present'?)
- HT's umbilical cord fell out on day 6 (Sunday); sorry...that tidbit (pun intended) is more for me so I will remember
- my body is on the mend and my hormones are starting to even out; I feel much more like myself
- we are equal parts exhausted and joyous 
- we are cherishing this time together where M & I are taking care of each other...I am not looking forward to him going back to work after Labor Day
home 
first doctor's appointment - 6 lb 7 oz
my fave
making friends
chilling with Gangy
a visit from JAT 
zonked 
zonked some more
Auntie Sambina
staring contest
flowers for HTJ
note the nutty professor hair
looking like mom
clap your hands...one week old!
nursery curtains arrived...just in time
as did the glider...XO

3 comments:

  1. He is truly adorable and makes a perfect addition to your already adorable little family! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are sharing all of this with us! I've always enjoyed reading emails from you and now I get to read blog updates!

    Henry is precious and I'm so glad you and Mike are cherishing this time you are both home together.

    The curtains were well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations guys; I love the "success henry" pic. :) I'd like to meet him!

    ReplyDelete